I made this last night and thought it was pretty darn good. So, just throwing it out into internet-land.
The pot pie recipe is based on a recipe in "Chickpea issue 1" (can be found on page 19)
. The original recipe is vegan, but I un-veganized it just a little mainly because I had some buttermilk sitting in the fridge that desperately needed to be used...also I don't have earth balance on hand...and I'm not vegan, so there was little reason to make the effort. I also didn't follow the directions very closely (on purpose) which is why I'm just posting it separately from that recipe. Ingredients are approximate since I didn't really measure any of the veggies.
2 T butter
2 T flour
oregano, thyme, other spices (salt, pepper), to taste
2 C vegetable broth
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/4 C oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 C carrots, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 small potatoes, diced
1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1. Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat, whisk in flour. Add spices. Heat until bubbly.
2. Add vegetable broth, chopped vegetables, garlic, onion, mushrooms and kidney beans. Bring mixture to a boil.
3. Meanwhile, boil diced potatoes until soft. Add to mixture in skillet and simmer over low heat.
4. Also meanwhile, drain and rinse chickpeas. Mash in a bowl (it's ok if it's chunky), then add to mixture in skillet. Continue to simmer until everything looks well mixed (10-15 mins total?). Remove from heat and pour into a casserole dish (mine was 8x8).
5. Prepare buttermilk biscuits. I used this recipe
and thought it was amazing.
6. Roll out biscuit dough and place on top of pie filling. Cut holes in dough for venting.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes or until biscuit topping is golden brown.
In hind-sight I probably would have sauteed the onion and garlic before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. I also think the topping would be really good if you cut the biscuits up (using a circular cookie cutter) and placed them on top of the pie filling that way.
But yeah...yum. I made another batch of biscuits this morning for breakfast. THEY ARE SO GOOD.